World News

Two women feared to have 'life-changing injuries' after heater EXPLODES in village pub beer garden

TWO women are feared to have suffered "life-changing" injuries after a heater exploded in a village pub's beer garden.

Three pub-goers were rushed to hospital after suffering serious burns when a camping stove burst into flames in Great Cornard near Sudbury, Suffolk.

The gas-fuelled burner was taken to the pub garden by drinkers to keep themselves warm, witnesses said.

Two women in their 20s remain in hospital following the blast at The King's Head pub just before 10pm on Saturday night.

A man who was injured has now been discharged from hospital.

Neighbours reported hearing screams as the stove exploded in a fireball next to an outside table.

Did you see see what happened? Please email [email protected] or call 0207 782 6245

Suffolk Police confirmed the appliance was believed to be a portable fuel heater.

In a statement on its Facebook page, the King's Head said: "We're limited on what we can say as this remains a police investigation.

"We can however confirm that the heating appliance was not one supplied by the pub, but was brought on to the premises without our knowledge.

"We have three of our customers with serious injuries, potentially life-changing.

"Our focus is on supporting the inquiry that is taking place while keeping them, and their families, at the forefront of our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."


The three injured customers were rushed to West Suffolk Hospital in Bury St Edmunds.

One of the women was later transferred to Chelmsford Hospital in Essex.

It is not known if they were the customers who brought the stove to use as an unofficial heater during the chilly evening.

Firefighters were called to the boozer on Saturday night after the horror blast.

Police have launched an investigation, and remained on the scene in the early hours of Sunday morning.


Officers were seen examining a pair of women’s coats which were dumped at the scene and appeared to be burnt.

IT consultant John Collings, 41, who lives next door said: “I was watching a film when I heard a woman screaming loudly at around 10pm before hearing ambulances and police arrive.

“Before that there was just the general pub noise of people enjoying themselves in the garden.

“I went out at about 11.30pm and saw blue lights were still flashing and spotlights had been set up by police.

“There were people hanging around and the police were telling them to move on. I also saw a helicopter with a searchlight."

The manager of the pub said: “I don’t want to say much. We are obviously concerned for the people who were injured.

“But the stove that exploded was something that someone had brought in. We did not know anything about it.”

The pub is due to reopen tomorrow.

    Source: Read Full Article