PEOPLE in Manchester will be evicted from their homes and sleeping in the streets this winter if the region doesn't get more financial support from the government, Shadow Foreign Secretary Lisa Nandy has warned.
Speaking on GMB this morning, Ms Nandy accused the government of "actively doing harm to its own citizens" and "not having our interests at heart" as Manchester was forced into Tier 3 lockdown.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
It follows a bitter standoff after talks with Mayor Andy Burnham collapsed over the size of the government's financial support package amid a furious blame game.
Amid chaotic scenes, Mr Burnham was filmed appearing to find out the government's deal via text message live on TV, sparking anger from many watching.
But Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick claimed this morning he told Mr Burnham about the deal in a phone call as the Labour Mayor faced accusations of showboating for the cameras.
Greater Manchester will be forced into the strictest Tier 3 lockdown rules to stem the spread of Covid-19 from Friday.
Ms Nandy said the government had offered £22 million deal to "help survive this winter", leaving locals in "complete shock" and workers facing homelessness.
She said: "What will happen if we don't get financial support from the government is people will start being evicted from their homes.
"The government hasn't enforced evictions as they did when the national lockdown happened.
"We are going to have people sleeping on the streets in winter in the middle of a pandemic.
"The government knows how serious the situation is."
The Labour frontbencher insisted the PM's adviser told MPs a £55 million injection of cash had been on offer but was withdrawn.
She was adamant £65 million was the minimum needed as Greater Manchester goes is put into Tier 3 after being in partial lockdown since the end of July.
It comes as Boris Johnson is expected to make a statement about South Yorkshire today – with the region set to go into Tier 3 in days.
Mr Burnham yesterday blasted the government's "brutal" offer for Greater Manchester and accused Downing Street of "grinding people down".
But speaking today, Cabinet minister Mr Jenrick said the Labour Mayor didn't find out about the government's deal via text message as yesterday's footage appeared to show and that he called Mr Burnham at 2pm with the news.
Mr Jenrick told Sky News: "We had several conversations over the course of the morning, including with the Prime Minister.
We are going to have people sleeping on the streets in winter in the middle of a pandemic.
"And I told him the final news at 2pm."
When asked by Kate Burley if Mr Burnham was showboating, he added: "I am not in the slightest bit interested in points scoring.
"It isn't about personalities or press conferences on the steps of town halls. In the end, it's about an important public health situation and that the people of Greater Manchester now get the support they deserve."
Speaking from Downing Street yesterday, the Prime Minister appeared to withdraw the £60m that had been on the table for Greater Manchester – saying the region will now get just £22m plus access to additional national support.
Mr Johnson repeatedly refused to clarify if the extra funding offered earlier was still available to the region – sparking fury and confusion from northern MPs.
However, No10 later confirmed that the full £60million was on the cards in a take it or leave it deal – but Mr Burnham must come to the table to get it.
In a Commons statement Health Secretary Matt Hancock confirmed the £60 million offer of extra financial support was still on the table and urged Mr Burnham to "pick up the phone".
Boris said the Government had made “a generous and extensive offer” to support Manchester’s businesses and blasted Mr Burnham for snubbing the package and not budging below £65million.
But he said he had no choice but to impose Tier 3 on Greater Manchester given the increasing numbers of cases, hospital admissions and deaths in the region.
He said: “We have to act. Because not to act would put Manchester’s NHS, and the lives of many of Manchester’s residents, at risk."
Source: Read Full Article