World News

Queen receives message of condolence from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau just 24 hours before Philip’s funeral

THE QUEEN received a message of condolence from Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau ahead of Prince Philip's funeral tomorrow.

The show of support came during the Queen's third royal engagement since Philip's death last Friday.

🔵 Read our Prince Philip funeral live blog for the latest updates


Justin Trudeau noted the "special relationship" the Duke of Edinburgh had with the Commonwealth country in his conversation with the Queen.

Mr Trudeau's office said of the call: "The prime minister noted the special relationship the Duke of Edinburgh maintained with Canada over the years, including through more than 60 visits and close ties with the Canadian armed forces, and conveyed to Her Majesty that the thoughts of Canadians are with her and all members of the royal family in this time of grief."

The monarch is also the Queen of Canada.

Buckingham Palace has said the Queen faced "some very difficult" decisions as she selected the 30 guests permitted under Covid-19 rules, from the original 800-strong congregation.

The Canadian PM would likely have been among attendees at the funeral if it was not taking place during the pandemic.

The stoic Queen has so far carried out three official engagements since Philip's death last Friday aged 99.

On Wednesday, she hosted a ceremony at Windsor Castle welcoming her new Lord Chamberlain to his post.

Baron Parker will oversee the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral as part of his role as the most senior official in the royal household.

And on Tuesday, she marked the retirement of the former Lord Chamberlain after he formally stood down.

The hardworking Queen has never shied away from her role – with her return so soon after her bereavement typical of her sense of duty.

Prince Andrew has said his mother is bearing up stoically and the family have been rallying round to support her.

Meanwhile, Prince William has pledged to uphold Philip's wishes and continue to support his grandmother and "get on with the job".

It was announced at the weekend the monarchy and their households would observe two weeks of royal mourning, with members of the family "continuing to undertake engagements appropriate to the circumstances," a royal official said.

The Queen is now preparing to bury her beloved husband of 73 years in a Covid-secure funeral at St George's Chapel in Windsor tomorrow.

The official seating plan will be released on Saturday so it is not yet sure whether she will have someone from her HMS Bubble comforting her.

The Palace have confirmed Her Majesty will be joined by a lady-in-waiting as she is driven to the service in a Bentley.

But it is understood she will sit alone in the chapel – with the aide not included on the guest list.

This is despite the Queen's ladies-in-waiting all becoming a part of HMS Bubble during lockdown as she shielded at Windsor Castle.

Buckingham Palace confirmed yesterday all 30 mourners – including the Queen – will have to wear a face mask when they enter the service.

Those walking in the procession – including Prince William, Prince Harry and Philip's four children – will not have to wear a mask while outside.

Once inside the chapel for the 50-minute service, all members of the Royal Family will be seated two metres apart.

All those who have travelled to the funeral have followed travel rules with all 30 mourners "meeting the guidelines", the Palace said.

And a reduced choir of just four singers will feature during the service – with the guests not allowed to sing under Covid funeral rules.

    Source: Read Full Article