Meghan Markle and Prince Harry DROP bid to trademark Sussex Royal name for commercial or charity activities (though they still want to use it on toiletries, sporting goods, toys, beer and jewellery)
- Request to use Sussex Royal and Sussex Royal Foundation in UK was removed
- Followed Queen’s decision they could not use ‘Royal’ label after stepping down
- An application to use the title on goods sold in Europe is still currently active
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have abandoned their bid to trademark the Sussex Royal brand in Britain to cash in on their links to the monarch.
Documents filed at the Intellectual Property Office show a request to use the names Sussex Royal and Sussex Royal Foundation for commercial and charity activities in the UK had been removed.
It followed the Queen’s decision that they could not use the ‘Royal’ label after deciding to step down as working royals and move to North America.
Meghan Markle with the Queen at a ceremony in Widnes on June 14, 2018. The monarch recently ruled she and Harry cannot use the Sussex Royal trademark in Britain
An application to use the royal trademark on toiletries, beer, toys, jewellery and sporting goods in Europe is still active, The Sun reported.
That is despite the couple saying last weekend that they would not use the word ‘Royal’ overseas.
The Queen’s ruling on the trademark came after lengthy and complex talks, it is understood.
Harry and Meghan had already spent tens of thousands of pounds on a new Sussex Royal website to complement their hugely popular Instagram feed.
A statement they released on Saturday struck a more hostile tone in some sections, and said that neither the government nor the Queen herself own the word ‘royal’ internationally – but they would nonetheless stop using the title.
The statement read: ‘While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.’
They also appeared to complain that the palace is treating them differently to other family members.
The statement continued: ‘While there is precedent for other titled members of the Royal Family to seek employment outside of the institution, for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, a 12-month review period has been put in place.
‘Per the agreement The Duke and Duchess of Sussex understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties and not undertake representative duties on behalf of Her Majesty The Queen.’
Prince Harry arrives to speak at a sustainable tourism summit in Edinburgh on Wednesday
A statement issued by the palace last month stated that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer use their HRH titles.
Meghan and Harry’s statement states, however, that they will keep the prefixes His and Her Royal Highness.
The couple faced another blow last night after Canada refused to keep guarding them when they step down as working royals.
In what will be seen as a humiliation for the couple, the Mounties said they would no longer pay for their security after March 31.
This means the cost of round-the-clock protection for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and baby son Archie – which could run to millions of pounds – will fall on UK taxpayers.
It is the first time Canada has confirmed it has been helping to guard Harry and Meghan since they settled on Vancouver Island last November. But last night it announced this would cease from April in keeping with their ‘change in status’.
Source: Read Full Article