World News

How Kabul suicide bombers killed at least 170 in airport blast as ISIS-K fighters ‘slipped past Taliban security’

AN ISIS-K suicide bomber killed more than 100 people at Kabul airport after reportedly slipping past Taliban security a gate, it has emerged.

A blast rocked the airport in Afghanistan yesterday just hours before the evacuation deadline leaving at least 13 US troops and dozens of Afghan civilians dead – but it has been revealed officials may have been frantically searching for a bomber when his device went off.



Thousands of people have gathered at the airport over the past 12 days hoping to be evacuated after the Taliban seized power – with a sewage canal at the site becoming somewhat of a holding pen for Afghans desperately trying to escape.

But on Thursday, chaotic scenes turned to carnage as an explosion was detonated.

It has now emerged that at least one ISIS suicide bomber managed to slip past Taliban screening at the airport to launch an attack on US troops, reports the Mail.

Ahead of the blast – at about 6pm yesterday – intelligence agencies had identified the imminent risk of a terror attack after intercepting communications showing regional anti-Taliban IS fighters, known as ISIS-K, were plotting to hit the airport.

It led US officials to urge those at Abbey Gate, east gate or north gate attempting evacuation flights to leave immediately – but thousands of Afghans stayed put.

Shortly after, a suicide bomber reportedly hit people standing in a wastewater canal – sending bodies flying into the water.

People waiting desperately for a space on a flight out of Afghanistan were seen carrying those who had been wounded to ambulances, their clothes covered in blood.

Bloodied survivors were raced from the scene in wheelbarrows, according to local TV news channels.

🔵 Read our Afghanistan live blog for the latest updates

Taliban militants guard the outer perimeter of the airport, screening Afghans before they reach US-manned checkpoints.

Marine Corps General Kenneth McKenzie, commander of US Central Command, said the attack at the airport happened after at least one suicide bomber got past Taliban screening points.

He said troops may even have been searching the bomber when his device was detonated.

"We're still investigating the exact circumstances," he said in a briefing.

"I don't know the size of the bomb.'"

Thirteen US service members were killed in the explosion, including 12 Marines and one Navy medic, while 15 were injured.

Officials said it was highly likely that Brits were among the dead.

'EVIL ACT'

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, sharing a picture online of one of the suicide bombers.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has vowed that evacuations will continue after the "despicable" attack.

The Pentagon said on Friday that a deadly attack at the gate to Kabul airport in Afghanistan on Thursday was carried out by one suicide bomber, not two.

"I can confirm for you that we do not believe that there was a second explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, that it was one suicide bomber," Army Major General William Taylor told reporters.

Another 200 people were wounded while 132 were left so maimed by the attack that they're unidentifiable, according to a CNN correspondent in Afghanistan.

It comes as Donald Trump has said he would "never" have allowed the horror Kabul airport bombing to take place after slamming Joe Biden's handling of the crisis – as calls for the President to resign grow.

He described it as "an evil act" that should "never have been allowed to happen" in a video message released Thursday night.

In a direct attack on his successor, Trump added the ISIS attack wouldn't have taken place "if I were your president".

He told Fox News on Thursday: "This tragedy should never have taken place. It should never have happened and it would not have happened if I were your President."

Trump said the crisis was the consequence of “the dumbest move ever perhaps made in US history”.

    Source: Read Full Article