World News

Chinese family finds a dead bat in oyster sauce

Disgusting moment Chinese family finds a dead bat in a jar of oyster sauce after using it to cook meals for nearly three months

  • Revolting footage shows the animal’s full carcass covered in sticky brown sauce
  • The family spotted the bat lying at the bottom of the sauce jar whilst cooking
  • They couldn’t eat anything for days after the shocking discovery, the son said 
  • Comes as experts have suggested a link between the wild animals and COVID-19

A family in China has been left horrified after they found a dead bat hidden in a jar of oyster sauce that they had been using for cooking for nearly three months.

The mother spotted the animal’s whole carcass when she was scooping the sauce out with a spoon while making dinner, her son told reporters.

Revolting footage shows the dead bat covered in the sticky brown sauce as it was being lifted out of the container.


A family in eastern Chinese city Jinan has been left horrified after they found a huge dead bat hidden in a jar of oyster sauce that they had been using for cooking for nearly three months

It comes as the source of the coronavirus pandemic, which first emerged in central Chinese city Wuhan last year, has been suggested to have come from wild animals, including bats and pangolins. 

Mr Guo, from eastern Chinese city Jinan, bought the six-kilo (13-pound) pot of oyster sauce from Haitian, a popular Chinese brand producing sauces and flavourings, according to local press.

The man said that his family couldn’t eat anything for days after discovering the dead animal lying at the bottom of the sauce jar nearly three months following the purchase.

‘My mum was cooking and she couldn’t scoop out the oyster sauce with a spoon,’ Mr Guo told Qilu Television. ‘[We] found the bird-like [carcass] after digging deeper. It stank as well.’

Horrified by the discovery, Mr Guo said he returned to the shop with the sauce jar and identified the dead animal to be a bat.


The man said that the family couldn’t eat anything for days after discovering the dead animal lying at the bottom of the oyster sauce jar nearly three months following the purchase

‘We didn’t want to eat anything for two or three days,’ the customer added. ‘We dumped all the dishes we cooked that day.’

Mr Guo believed that the bat had gotten into the jar before the manufacturer filled it with the cooking sauce during the production.

‘I always put the lid on after using it,’ he said. ‘If it went in there later, the bat couldn’t have swum to the bottom [of the jar]. The oyster is so sticky.’

A spokesman for Foshan Haitian Flavouring & Food denied the customer’s claim, saying that their products go through ‘layers of filtering and checks’ before being sold.

The source of the coronavirus pandemic, which first emerged in the central Chinese city last year, has been suggested to have come from wild animals, including bats and pangolins. This file picture shows a group of small horseshoe bat sleeping while they are covered by wings

‘It’s impossible,’ the staff member told reporters. ‘For a product that is being refined regularly, it would not have such a complete bat’s [carcass] if it had been in there.’

The food company said it is willing to claim full responsibility only if Mr Guo can provide ‘concrete evidence’ to prove the bat had been in the sauce jar before the purchase.

The family is planning to get an analysis of the sauce jar from a third party, said Chinese media.

‘Bats have too many viruses. My family had been eating the oyster sauce for three, four months,’ Mr Guo said. ‘I demand the company take my whole family [to the hospital] for examination.’

The news comes as another family in Wuhan has rushed to get tested for the coronavirus after spotting a whole dead bat in a pot of pork soup that they ordered from a Chinese restaurant.

The Chinese family, known by their surname Chen, bought a pot of frozen pork soup from a restaurant near his home in Wuhan of Hubei province on July 10, reported local media.  

The customers immediately went to hospital after the shocking discovery over fears of catching the coronavirus. Their results came back negative, according to local media.  

Source: Read Full Article