A NEW woman has come forward to police alleging she was sexually assaulted by Russell Brand.
The Metropolitan Police revealed today that a woman had contacted them on Sunday saying she was sexually assaulted by the entertainer in London’s Soho in 2003.
The alleged offence took place three years before the spate of rape and sex abuse claims against Brand revealed over the weekend by The Sunday Times and C4’s Dispatches programme.
Four women have alleged sexual assaults between 2006 and 2013.
Brand, 48, denies all of the allegations.
Police are now set to investigate the latest allegation which came directly to them – and have appealed for other potential victims to come forward.
Read More on Russell Brand
Inquiry into ‘open secrets’ at heart of TV industry threatened by MPs
Seven questions BBC MUST answer on Brand including ‘why warnings were ignored’
A spokesperson for the Met said: "We are aware of reporting by The Sunday Times and Channel 4’s Dispatches about allegations of sexual offences.
"On Sunday, 17 September, the Met received a report of a sexual assault which was alleged to have taken place in Soho in central London in 2003.
"Officers are in contact with the woman and will be providing her with support."
The Met said they first spoke with The Sunday Times on Saturday and have “since made further approaches” to the paper and Channel 4 “to ensure that anyone who believes they have been the victim of a sexual offence is aware of how to report this to the police.”
Most read in Showbiz
Russell Brand’s pregnant wife is ‘standing by him’ after rape allegations
THE EX FILES
From Katy Perry to Kate Moss – what Russell Brand’s exes think about him
From Adele to Lady Gaga, stars who’ve earned the most from Las Vegas residencies
‘HE’S A DEMON’
Woman ‘raped’ by Brand was ‘triggered’ when she saw him at Olympics ceremony
The spokesperson added: “We continue to encourage anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a sexual offence, no matter how long ago it was, to contact us.”
The new development could potentially open the floodgate to further similar claims against Brand, as previously seen when celebrities were outed when the #MeToo movement erupted following the Harvey Weinstein case.
It comes as Channel 4 has reportedly asked third-party production companies to report “historical allegations” about Brand, Deadline reports.
In an email seen by the website, Chief Content Officer Ian Katz said Channel 4 is urging producers to “bring to our attention any historical allegations or concerns" about the comedian.
Anyone who wants to report an offence to the police should contact The Met on 101.
Always dial 999 in an emergency.
Source: Read Full Article