Sport

Reigning Masters champions Hideki Matsuyama WITHDRAWS from The Open

Reigning Masters champion Hideki Matsuyama WITHDRAWS from The Open after positive Covid-19 test as Japanese golfer reveals ‘I’m feeling fine but haven’t been able to practice’

  • Masters champion Hideki Matsuyama was forced to withdraw from The Open
  • The Japanese golfer has been self-isolating after returning positive Covid-19 test
  • He is currently symptom-free but Subsequent PCR tests have been positive
  • The 29-year-old revealed ‘I’m feeling fine but haven’t been able to practice’ 

Reigning Masters champion Hideki Matsuyama has withdrawn from the 149th Open at Royal St George’s after returning a positive Covid-19 test.

The Japanese tested positive ahead of the second round of the Rocket Mortgage Classic on July 2 and has been self-isolating since.

He is currently symptom-free but subsequent PCR tests have continued to show positive results.

Reigning Masters Champion Hideki Matsuyama has been forced to withdraw from The Open

‘I’m feeling fine but haven’t been able to practice in preparation for The Open,’ said Matsuyama in a statement.

‘Combining that with the difficult travel to the UK, my team and I have decided it’s best to withdraw to ensure everyone’s safety.

‘I feel badly missing the Open and look forward to playing again at St Andrews next year. I’d like to thank the many golf fans for their continued concern and support as I strive to return to the game I love as soon as possible.’

The 29-year-old has been self-isolating after testing positive at the Rocket Mortgage Classic

The Open will commence on July 15 after year following last year’s suspension due to Covid-19

Matsuyama, 29, has been replaced in the competition by American Harold Varner III.

The R&A said the Open will ‘operate under strict government oversight’, and that players will be restricted from attending bars, restaurants and supermarkets. 

Players will be required to stay in approved hotels or private accommodation which can be shared by four members of their team. 

The competition was cancelled in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic, with 32,000 fans allowed to attend this year when it starts on July 15. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article