Sport

Marco Antonio Barrera to come out of retirement at 47 to face rival Erik Morales, 44, for FOURTH time in exhibition bout

MEXICAN legends Marco Antonio Barrera and Erik Morales will renew their rivalry for a fourth time by coming out of retirement on July 16.

The pair are the latest boxers to dust off their gloves to compete in an exhibition bout, with six rounds scheduled to take place at a venue to be determined.


Both men were set to pit their wits against each other on January 15, but the event was postponed after Morales, 44, contracted coronavirus.

And ESPN Deportes have now confirmed that the fourth fight between the duo will take place on American soil, with Barrera, 47, looking to make it three wins in a row.

The first encounter between the two greats took place in February 2000, where Morales retained his WBC super-bantamweight title on a split decision.

Barrera gained revenge two years later when he outpointed his rival to win the WBC featherweight strap, while also inflicting a first professional defeat for Morales.

Morales then had his WBC super featherweight title ripped away in November 2004 after losing a majority decision.

Both men have been inactive for a nearly a decade, with Barrera's last contest coming in 2011, while Danny Garcia sent Morales into retirement in 2012.

But the pair have expressed their excitement at meeting again, as Morales told ESPN: "We are very happy to be able to get back in the ring.

"Barrera was a great opponent for me in my career, we had three fights, two of them were the best [fights] of the year, and we are just finalising some things.

"In a few days we will have the venue and see if we are going to use head gear or not. What has been decided is that it will be six rounds."

CASINO SIGN UP OFFER: CLAIM UP TO £800 IN CASINO BONUS CASH

Quoted by DAZN, Barrera added: "For me, it is very exciting. However, I have been retired from boxing for ten years. When they talked to me and told me about the project, I have always liked to help.

"It fills me with nervousness and excitement to step on a stage like this again. Both 'Terrible' and I used to leave everything in the ring, and the people know it."

Morales and Barrera are the latest boxers that will step back inside the squared circle following Mike Tyson's exhibition contest against Roy Jones Jr in November.

It was revealed earlier this week that Miguel Cotto and Juan Manuel Marquez were to lace up the gloves once more.

And Julio Cesar Chavez, 58, is set for one final fight with the Mexican icon to take on Hector Camacho Jr on June 19.

Oscar De La Hoya will also make his comeback to the ring later this year on July 3 aged 48.

Source: Read Full Article