MANCHESTER UNITED legend Peter Schmeichel called for Old Trafford chiefs to be ruthless and get rid of any deadweight in the squad.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer splashed £145million on summer transfers bringing in defenders Harry Maguire and Aaron Wan-Bissaka as well as winger Daniel James.
United recouped half of their spending after selling Romelu Lukaku to Inter Milan for £73m – but there are still potential casualties with the European window slamming shut on September 2.
Here are five players who could be sold be sold by Solskjaer this summer.
The Chilean forward is braced to link up with Lukaku in Milan as Inter close in on loan deal for the Old Trafford flop.
United will still have to pay half of Sanchez’s £505,000 a-week wages, and the Serie A chiefs can make the move permanent for £14m next season.
With a medical pending, the ex-Arsenal star is set to end his nightmare 18 months in Manchester which consisted of 45 appearances and just five goals.
It is believed Sanchez has cost United £11m per goal, £6.1m per assist and £2.5m per shot on target.
With the £80m signing of Maguire, emergence of Victor Lindelof and recall for ex-Aston Villa loanee Axel Tuanzebe, Rojo’s first-team chances look slim this term.
Added to that England pair Chris Smalling and Phil Jones, as well as Eric Bailly, act as further competition to the Argentine for even a place on the bench or game time in cup competition.
Rojo has not been included in the squad for Solskjaer’s opening three games this season and only played eight matches the campaign before.
The defender was told he could leave OId Trafford this summer and saw a deadline day move to Everton collapse.
It is understood a European loan move is still possible for Rojo, with Turkish giants Fenerbahce previously linked with the centre-back.
Darmian’s hopes of first-team football at right-back were slashed this summer with the arrival of Wan-Bissaka.
Club captain Ashley Young, who was the primary choice in that position last season, looks to be Solskjaer’s back up option to cover either full-back.
Darmian was a surprising target for Barcelona earlier in the summer with the La Liga champions admiring his ability to play on either flank.
A return to Italy has emerged as the most likely option for the ex-AC Milan defender, with Inter and Juventus registering interest.
However, with his contract expiring next season it is believed Antonio Conte has told Darmian to join the San Siro on a free transfer next summer.
The French World Cup winner stunned United fans before pre-season as he revealed he wanted a “new challenge” after three seaons back at Old Trafford.
His words were then backed up by agent Mino Raiola and brother Mathias following transfer interest from PSG, Juve and Real Madrid.
United boss Solskjaer has insisted the 26-year-old is not for sale, despite rumours Pogba is desperate for a move to Madrid.
Real boss Zinedine Zidane admitted he had a “plan” to sign the midfielder after admitting his interest in the player.
Despite United’s firm no sale stance on Pogba, it is understood Zidane has made the Frenchman a priority signing before the window slams shut.
The Dutch winger was brought into United’s first-team this summer as part of Solskjaer’s pre-season squad, having been a feature in the youth set-up since his 2016 transfer.
Reports suggested the 19-year-old was to be sent out on loan in order to gain first-team experience, with PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord both interested.
His agent, Erkan Alkan, also revealed German and Spanish clubs were keen on the forward.
However, Chong reiterated his desire to stay in Manchester and fight for a place in the first-team, like starlet Mason Greenwood this summer, and Marcus Rashford before that.
But despite the wishes of the Dutchman, Solskjaer may yet decide against the promising teen remaining an unused player with a loan option available.
Source: Read Full Article