Brave mum has both legs and hand amputated after developing chesty cough

  • Share
  •  Comments
  • 16:18, 9 MAY 2019
  • Updated16:23, 9 MAY 2019

A mum who contracted sepsis after suffering a chesty cough had to have both her legs and right hand amputated.

Lydia Galbally, 41, went to doctors and was diagnosed with asthma and a series of lung infections.

But after her condition suddenly worsened test revealed she had contracted sepsis , pulmonary TB and pneumonia.

Lydia beat the odds to survive after spending 11 days in a coma.

However, she suffered severe gangrene in her hands, feet and nose, requiring multiple amputations.

Her husband Dan and two children, aged nine and 11, are now raising money for prosthetics to aid her recovery.

Dan said: "At one point Lydia had 15 different intravenous drips and lines going in and out of her body.

"She was on a ventilator, a kidney machine and the ECMO (Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation), as well being treated by a cocktail of various drugs and being fed with nutrients.

"These were all needed to keep her alive but incredibly sadly, a result of the treatment for the sepsis, was to cruelly restrict the blood flow to her hands and feet.

"She had to have both her legs amputated below the knee, together with the amputation of her right hand at the wrist and the fingers of her left hand, undergoing five major operations in the last seven weeks."

Lydia was fit and healthy until last summer when she struggled to shake off a long-running cough.

In September she underwent an X-ray, CT scan and bronchoscopy, which revealed the more serious conditions.

The mum spent eight weeks at the Royal Papworth hospital, in Cambridge, after being admitted in a critical condition.

Sepsis is a life-threatening illness which can be triggered by any type of infection.

Dan said doctors initially did not hold out much hope for her recovery but "against all odds" Lydia survived. 

He added: "I’m so thankful to say that she has survived…

"She spent 11 days in a coma on life-support close to death."

Lydia has now been discharged home and began her two-month rehabilitation treatment this week.

Dan and the couple's two children are now determined to get her back to her "old self".

Dan said: "Despite the clearly devastating and traumatic events of the last seven months, it is important to me to be able to tell you that Lydia has been incredibly brave and outstandingly strong-minded throughout.

"She has been, and remains truly inspirational and though she doesn’t believe that about herself, she has shown what a truly remarkable person she is."

The couple are currently taking legal advice about her medical treatment.

More than £73,000 has already been raised via a Gofundme page to help pay for new prosthetics.

  • Like us on Facebook
  • Follow us on Twitter
  • Daily news Newsletter
  • Follow @DailyMirror

Source: Read Full Article