Celebrities

Strictly Come Dancings Ugo Monye splits from wife Lucy days before new series starts

Get daily celeb exclusives and behind the scenes house tours direct to your inbox

Strictly Come Dancing star Ugo Monye has announced that he has split from his wife Lucy just days before the start of the BBC1 show.

The former England rugby player, 38, who shares daughters Phoenix, four, and Ruby, one, with Lucy, 32, has been married for five years but moved out of their west London home a few weeks ago.

Ugo, who is set to start on the hit dance show, revealed to The Sun how 'there is no animosity' between the pair as he was determined not to be labelled with the infamous Strictly Come Dancing curse.

Dad-of-two Ugo told the publication: "It’s been hard. At times things have seemed a bit overwhelming but it’s been a tough period for us both. In some relationships there is a moment, a ‘thing’, that breaks the couple.

"We weren’t in a volatile relationship, we never hated each other and there was no third party. Forget the Strictly curse — it’s the Covid curse! We ended up where we ended up.

"It will take more work, of course, but Lucy and I are in a good place. We’ve even been discussing the idea of going on holiday as a family next summer. Lucy is an amazing person and an incredible mum."

The sportsman described how the enforced time that the couple, who met through a mutual friend in 2014, spent together during lockdown made clear their decision to separate.

Ugo, who won 14 caps for England, revealed how he has not shared the news of their split with 'many friends' because the conversation is 'painful'.

The soon-to-be Strictly Come Dancing star will find out on Saturday 11 September who he has been partnered with for the competition.

OK! has contacted a representative of Ugo Monye for comment.

It comes after contestants have reportedly been told to 'avoid partying' while filming the series this year to try and avoid catching Covid-19.

Last year, longtime professional dancer Katya Jones and her celebrity partner Nicola Adams were devastated when they had to withdraw from the competition after just a few dances.


Unfortunately, Katya, 32, tested positive for the coronavirus, and this year producers are incredibly wary about a situation like that happening again.

A source said that bosses are “worried about a repeat” and they’re hopeful the cast and dancers will put Strictly first and turn down “invites” for the sake of the show.

“They know with restrictions not as harsh as they were last year, it means events are back and the Strictly contestants are always top of everybody’s invite lists,” the insider told The Mirror.

“But this year, they’re hoping the celebrities and pros will be sensible and put Strictly first for the sake of everyone.

“It isn’t a blanket ban on them doing anything but the show, but they’ve been asked to restrict their diaries to keep the show on the road,” the source added.

OK! contacted a representative at Strictly Come Dancing for comment at the time.

For more showbiz news, sign up to OK!'s daily newsletter here

Source: Read Full Article