Celebrities

Eamonn Holmes takes dig at former co-stars Holly and Phil amid queue jumping backlash

Former This Morning presenter Eamonn Holmes appeared to take a dig at his former co-stars Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield after the backlash over "queue jumping".

Holly and Phil have been at the centre of backlash from viewers after they viewed the Queen's coffin at Westminster Hall last week, insisting they were there as journalists to report on the event.

Despite addressing the backlash on Tuesday's show, the pair still have unimpressed viewers who are refusing to accept their side of the story.

Ruth Langsford's husband Eamonn, who now hosts on GB News, appeared to take a dig at the presenting duo as he took a pop at the backlash they've received.

Appearing on the channel's breakfast show alongside co-host Isabel Webster, the pair laughed at Eamonn's reference to Holly and Phil.

Isabel said: "[They] suffered that queue and they were not of any insignificant age, we’ll be talking to them after this."

Eamonn then replied: "What, Holly and Phillip?"

On Tuesday’s show Holly and Phil addressed the recent backlash, insisting they were given “official permission” to have access to the historic room.

Holly said in a VT: "Like hundreds of accredited broadcasters and journalists, we were given official permission to access the hall.

"It was strictly for the purpose of reporting on the event for millions of people in the UK, who haven't been able to visit Westminster in person.

"The rules were that we would be quickly escorted around the edges to a platform at the back, in contrast, those paying respect walked along a carpeted area besides the coffin and were given time to pause.

"None of the broadcasters and journalists there took anyone's place in the queue and no one filed past the Queen. We of course respected those rules.

"However, we realise that it may have looked like something else… and therefore totally understand the reaction. Please know, that we would never jump a queue!"

ITV previously said in a statement: "This Morning had press accreditation and like other media, Phillip and Holly were escorted to work from the press gallery by government staff.

"They did not file past The Queen's coffin. They were there alongside a host of other broadcasters and national press outlets for an item that will be broadcast on Tuesday's show.

"Any allegations of improper behaviour are categorically untrue."

READ MORE:

  • Mel B makes pointed GMB dig at 'Queen queue jumpers' amid Holly and Phil backlash

  • The Chase's Anne Hegerty defends Holly and Phil's 'queue jump' after public outcry

  • Royal staff left 'fuming' over celebrities using priority lanes to see the Queen's coffin

  • This Morning quietly ditches energy bills prize on Spin To Win after Ofcom complaints

  • To read the very best of today’s Ok! content from breaking news to Royals and TV – CLICK HERE

Source: Read Full Article